stylist shops: Whata-ya-got Topshop?

Monday 24 February 2014

Whata-ya-got Topshop?

Hello trusty old Toppers! Long-dreary-winter-time no see.

I'm here to see what their first drop of summertime bounty is, and I must say I was NOT disappointed. There is so much new stuff in there I almost had an overwhelmed melt down and walked out, but WOULD I LET YOU DOWN DEAR READERS? 
Not on my first blog post I wouldn't.

So - here I am - my max 12 items in tow - ready to SHOP FOR YOU




First up: THE SUIT






A pinstripe suit is not quite what I imagined I’d be dragging into the changing rooms at Topshop on a Thursday afternoon. At the first sight of this uniform-of-the-high-street-estate-agent I usually run a mile. Yet this navy blue jacket (£100, size 10) drew me in with it’s soft brushed cotton material and  double breasted front, and the trousers (£55, size 10) a perfect slim fit with a rolled-up cuff sealed the deal. 
Something tells me this look will be a love it or hate it sorta thing... 

Answers on a postcard.


THE CROP TOP




Pink freaks me out. 
As do high-waisted skirts. 

As do crop tops. 

And yet here I am, in a Topshop changing room, facing my fears, biting the bullet and dressing like the girl I’ll never be. 
And I don’t actually mind it!

The texture on the top (£35, size 12 – they didn’t have a 10) and skirt (£40, size 10) made it feel more expensive, and the cut of the skirt means it doesn’t lose the volume it needs to maintain it’s silhouette, as so many do. 

If you love a ’50s shape and feel brave enough to tackle the crop top, then this may be the outfit for you. Perhaps even as a fresh alternative to a standard summer wedding outfit?


THE CLASHING PRINTS




Not only is this plastic mac (£39, size 10) covered in a brilliantly ridiculous daisy print, it also has 

a hood you know is going to actually keep your hair dry in this horrible British weather. 

The metallic printed shorts (£25, size 10) fit a little small and are very high-waisted, but will look great with tanned summer legs rather than pasty February pins. And the silky vest top (£12, size 10) – well, it’s a silky vest top! But it fits well and is a heavy enough fabric to feel more of a top 
rather than lingerie. 



THE PUFFBALL SKIRT






 Hello, high-waisted skirt – my long-lost frenemy. You are so hard to pull off yet such an easy way 
to make an impressive style statement.
This beautiful silk number (£85, size 10) is so well made it could probably pass for designer. Perhaps even the Christian Dior it is reminiscent of (don’t sue). 
It’s way too elegant for a train-taking, pub-patronising girl such as me, hence I threw on this sweater 

(£25, size S) with it – plus my trusty New Balance – to bring it down to earth. 

I must state here that this sweater is lined in the softest material that makes you feel like you are being hugged by real life Care Bears. 
And that in itself is reason enough to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment